EYFS: Communication Matters – learning through language
A vocabulary rich curriculum should be seen as part of best practice on how to achieve outstanding learning for young children. It is through our understanding of language that we can process information and use language to communicate ideas. We need to share an understanding of how to teach vocabulary along with an understanding of how best to communicate with children.
• Look in detail at the Early Years Outcomes for Communication & Language
• Raise practitioners awareness and understanding of children’s communication and language
• Help practitioners become more aware of language as an essential pre-requisite for all future learning
• Consider what communication friendly early years provision looks like and the role of effective practitioners
• Look in detail at effective adult practice in order to support & extend children's learning through a range of communication strategies including commenting, posing problems, sustained shared thinking, questioning etc.
• Focus on developing sustained shared thinking, what it is and how to develop it.
• Ensure practitioners are aware of how to provide a range of exciting and stimulating activities for babies and young children which promote communication and language through both child initiated & adult led learning and through indoor & outdoor environments
• Provide information to support practitioners when they are working with children to communication challenges.
For EYFS Practitioners and Primary NQTs
Harvills Hawthorn Primary,
West Bromwich B70 0NG
Lightwoods Teaching School Alliance
Welcome to Lightwoods Teaching School Alliance. Lightwoods Primary School is a National Teaching School and National Support School. Over a number of years, the Senior Leadership Team and I have...View school
Our lady and St Huberts Teaching School Alliance
St. Hubert's School is a co-educational Catholic Voluntary Aided school for Catholic children aged between 4 and 11 years. A limited number of non-Catholic children may be admitted in accordance with...View school
Shireland Teaching School Alliance
We believe outstanding teachers absolutely make a difference. Here at Shireland we aim to make a difference to the lives and academic achievement of each and every learner. Join us and inspire a love...View school
St Francis Xavier Teaching School Alliance
A small Alliance of good and outstanding Catholic Primary schools working together to offer bespoke and high quality support and development for schools both within and outside of the...View school
St John Bosco teaching school alliance
A primary based teaching school who focus on School Direct teacher training in partnership with Newman University, delivering leadership training and development from post NQT to emergent heads...View school
The Orchard Teaching School Alliance
The Orchard Teaching School Alliance involves a network of outstanding and good schools from mainstream, special and PRU settings. Our strategic partners include the University of Wolverhampton,...View school
Wednesbury Teaching School Alliance
Wednesbury Teaching School Alliance (WTSA), which is led by Harvills Hawthorn Primary School, offers teacher training (School Direct), a range of Continued Professional Development, Specialist...View school
Wood Green Academy Teaching School Alliance
As a Cohort 1 teaching school in 2011, Wood Green Academy Teaching School Alliance (WGATSA) was one of the first 100 Teaching Schools in the country. Since then, we have built an outstanding...View school
Corngreaves Teaching School Alliance
Corngreaves Teaching School Alliance is an outstanding National Teaching School located in Sandwell in the West Midlands. With a proven track record in training and developing the next generation of...View school